Apply for this licence

Start now on the Health and Safety Executive website


Work involving asbestos materials (including removal and demolition) needs a licence issued by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE).

You need a licence if the work is:

  • on a medium to large scale
  • involves asbestos insulation which can’t be removed without being broken (including pipe and boiler lagging, sprayed asbestos coatings and asbestos insulating board).

Only occasional work which is of low intensity (eg. the concentration of asbestos does not exceed 0.6 fibres per cm³ over a 10 minute period) is exempt from needing a licence.

Before carrying out any type of asbestos work you must get up-to-date training from a competent provider.