Apply for this licence

Start now on the Phonographic Performance Limited website


You may need a PPL (Phonographic Performance Ltd) licence if you play recorded music in public, eg a radio, CD or music channel on your business premises.

PPL collects and distributes money for the use of recorded music on behalf of record companies and performers.

In most cases you’ll also need a PRS for Music licence to legally play recorded music in public. PRS for Music collects and distributes money for the use of the musical composition and lyrics on behalf of authors, songwriters, composers and publishers.

Businesses that might need a licence include:

  • shops
  • offices and factories
  • hairdressers and beauty salons
  • cinemas and theatres
  • hotels and guesthouses
  • restaurants and cafes
  • pubs, bars and nightclubs
  • sports grounds and other sporting facilities (eg bowling alleys)
  • gyms and other health facilities
  • bingo halls and casinos
  • social clubs and members’ clubs
  • churches and halls
  • public transport

You need to be licensed even if customers don’t generally visit your premises (employees count as members of the public for these purposes).

Licence fees are payable, but these vary depending on the type of licence applied for and from which organisation.

How to apply

You can find more information about the type of licence you need, as well as application forms and fees, on the PPL website.

You can also contact PPL:

Fines and penalties

You are infringing copyright and could be sued for damages if you play recorded, copyrighted music in public without a licence.