Apply for this licence

Postcode lookup
For example SW1A 2AA

Find a postcode on Royal Mail's postcode finder


If you wish to construct a bridge or building over a public highway, or alter such a construction, you must have a licence from the highway authority. Your highway authority will depend on the type and location of the road.

Terms and conditions will be attached to the licence, and a fee may be payable.

You may be required by the authority to remove or alter any bridge at your own expense.

You must also obtain the consent of the highway authority if you wish to position any overhead beam, rail, pipe, cable, wire or similar apparatus over, along or across a highway.

However, you are exempt from this requirement if you are:

  • carrying out work authorised by a licence under Chapter I of Part I of the Transport Act 2000
  • a provider of a universal postal service
  • the operator of an electronic communications code network
  • the operator of a driver information network

Fines and penalties

Failure to comply with the above requirements may result in a fine.