Apply for this licence
Start now on the Department for Education website
You need approval from the Department of Education (DE) to offer initial teacher education programmes.
Initial teacher education programmes allow successful candidates to register with the General Teaching Council for Northern Ireland (GTCNI) and teach in grant-aided schools in Northern Ireland.
How to apply
Approval of programmes is made by DE, and is dependent upon:
- evidence of need
- accreditation by the GTCNI
- evidence from inspection by the Education and Training Inspectorate (ETI)
To gain accreditation, pass inspection and ultimately be approved, your programme must meet guidelines concerning:
- minimum entry requirements
- teacher education requirements
- management and quality assurance