5. Further information

Spending your Independent Living Fund (ILF) money

You can use your ILF money to pay for support and services. You can use a care agency or employ your own personal assistant (PA) for tasks including:

  • toileting, bathing, washing and dressing
  • eating and drinking
  • cooking and shopping
  • laundry, cleaning and other household tasks
  • physical movement, eg walking and getting about

If you employ your own carer or PA the ILF can also pay:

  • National Insurance contributions
  • holiday pay
  • liability insurance

The ILF will also consider paying for things like the costs of advertising for a PA and health and safety training for your PA.

What you can’t use the money for

You can’t use the money to pay for:

  • any care you get from a relative who lives with you
  • any care provided by social services
  • maintaining your home or adapting your home
  • gardening
  • bills
  • private hospitals, residential care or holidays
  • petrol, taxi fares and travel expenses
  • childcare

Review of ILF payments

The ILF will arrange to visit your every 2 years. Your social worker (if you have one) will need to be there when the assessors visit. At the visit, the assessor will check that you’re getting the right amount of care and look at the records you’ve been keeping. They will also ask you about the care you pay for, the money you have and the benefits you get.

If your care costs change

The ILF will not normally be able to meet increases in the amount of care you need. When reviewing your ILF payments, the assessor will consider if the amount of money you currently receive is sufficient for you to live independently.

If your care arrangements change and you need more money to pay for your care, contact your local authority and ask them to reassess your care needs. They may be able to offer you extra help.

The ILF will consider giving you more money if you need to pay for employer costs. Examples of these include:

  • Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) checks
  • health and safety training
  • National Insurance contributions
  • Statutory Sick Pay
  • Advertising for a PA

If you’re unhappy about a decision

If you’re unhappy about a decision, you can contact the ILF and ask them to look at it again. This is called a ‘decision review’. If you’re unhappy with the service you receive you can make a complaint. If you’re still not happy you can appeal.

Independent Living Fund Helpline
Telephone: 0845 601 8815 or 0115 9450 700
Textphone: 0845 601 8816
Monday to Thursday, 9am to 4:30pm
(Closed Wednesdays, 10:30am to 11:30am)
Friday, 9am and 4pm
Find out about call charges

Equinox House
Island Business Quarter
City Link

If your circumstances change

Tell the ILF straight away if your circumstances change. A change in your circumstances may affect the amount of money you get from the ILF. Some examples of the changes you need to report include:

  • changes in the support you get from social services, eg you start or stop getting direct payments
  • changes in your family, eg you have a child or your child leaves home, or you get married or divorced
  • your income changes, eg you start to get State Pension or a private pension
  • you go into hospital or residential care
  • you start or stop getting other benefits
  • you change your personal assistants or care agency, or your care costs change