This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Wine Guidance

Licensing: changes in licence particulars and cancellation of licence

Changes in licensing particulars

Changes that may affect a wine producer’s licence should be notified to the National Registration Unit (NRU) in Glasgow. If necessary, the NRU will issue an amended licence.


Regulations 8(1) of the Wine and Made-wine Regulations 1989 allows the Commissioners to cancel a licence if it is established that trading has ceased or that wine is not being made on licensed premises. The NRU and TAPS (Trader Accounting Payment System) unit in Southend should be notified.

Regulation 8(2) allows the Commissioners to revoke a licence where there is reasonable cause, provided we give three months’ written notice. However, cancelling a wine producer’s licence should not be undertaken lightly and advice should be sought from the NRU or Alcohol Policy if you are considering this.