Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS): Re-investment Relief: claims procedure
In order to claim reinvestment relief the investor will need to submit part 2 of the compliance certificate (SEIS3) from the company in which the investment is made. This contains a claim form which the investor may use when submitting a claim (with or without a tax return). The SEIS3 form must be submitted with the reinvestment relief claim whether the claim is made on the tax return or separately.
Guidance on the procedure to be followed by a company to obtain forms SEIS3 for issue to investors is contained at VCM35110.
Relief must not be claimed until the investor has received that form. The SEIS3 form contains details of:
- the amount paid on subscription for the shares,
- the company in which the investment has been made,
- the date the shares were issued,
- the Small Company Enterprise Centre office which deals with the company and the company’s tax reference,
- the chargeable gains against which reinvestment relief is claimed.
No reinvestment relief should be allowed in the absence of a SEIS3 form relating to that particular investment.
When a claim is agreed, you should send a copy of the claim form to the office dealing with the company and retain a copy in the permanent notes folder.
On receipt of the SEIS3 the office dealing with the company should check that the issue of form SEIS3 has been authorised and that the details returned agree.