Particular trades: driving schools - information to obtain
1 Documents to obtain
- Copies of advertising and promotional material used by both school and instructors;
- signed copies of the current agreements between school and instructor;
- copies of appointment cards, introductory Letters, and/or offers given to the pupils by the school;
- examples of invoices/receipts given to pupils.
2 Questions to ask
- On what supplies does the school currently accounting for output tax , and how long has the current system operated?
- What fees are currently charged to pupils?
- How much does the instructor receive?
- Who sets the prices which pupils have to pay for their tuition?
- What is the average number of lessons given in a week by an instructor?
- How do pupils book lessons; who allocates pupils to instructors?
- What is the weekly fee payable by instructor to school?
- Is there a reduction in the weekly fee payable by the instructor to the school if only a minimal number of lessons are generated; for example if the instructor is sick or on holiday, is the hire or booking fee to the school still payable?
- Who collects money from the pupils?
- If the driver collects the fees, does he have to pass these on to the school on a daily or weekly basis?
- To whom are the pupils’ cheques payable; are credit cards accepted?
- What does the school do if a pupil complains about either his tuition or the instructor?
Who is responsible for:
- insuring the car?
- insuring the pupil?
- maintaining and repairing the car?
- the cost of petrol used in lessons?
- Who bears the cost of advertising?
- Can instructors accept work independently of the school?
- What records does the school retain relating to its instructors? Is the school able to easily calculate how much each instructor has earned in a given period?
- What does the school do if the instructor cancels a lesson?
- Are the instructors obliged to advertise the school on their cars?