Hoists and lifters [item 2(e)]
Conditions to be met under item 2 (e)
The following conditions must be met for zero-rating under item 2(e) (see VRDP05100):
- the basic pre-conditions for zero-rating (see VRDP05000); and
- hoists and lifters must be ‘designed for use by invalids’.
Eligible hoists and lifters
Examples of qualifying hoists include hoists for lifting any of the following:
- wheelchairs into motor vehicles;
- people in or out of bed;
- people in or out of the bath; or
- people on and off the lavatory.
The zero rate applies to the types of lifting chairs and seats which:
- are often operated by automatic button; and
- enable disabled people, who need assistance, to move from a seated to a standing position.
Are recliner chairs eligible for zero-rating?
Only recliner chairs which have a seat raising and lowering feature are eligible for VAT relief. The seat must be capable of raising a person from a seated position to a standing position and lowering a person from a standing position to a seated position.
Are transfer boards eligible for zero-rating?
Transfer boards and similar items used to transfer a person from a trolley to a bed are not lifting devices. They are not eligible for VAT relief under item 2(e).