Registration of persons who make taxable supplies in the Isle of Man: action to transfer a registration from the UK to the IoM register
If it is agreed that a trader should be transferred from the UK to the IoM, deregister the trader and action the transfer as follows:
- Decide upon the date of transfer. This should normally be at the end of a UK tax period:
- UK period ends on 30 June
- Date of transfer = 1 July
- VAT 30 date = 2 July.
- Inform the trader in writing that:
- their VAT registration is to be transferred from the UK register to the IoM register with effect from the agreed date
- the completed return for the period immediately preceding the date of transfer (along with any outstanding returns if applicable) should be submitted as normal
- any queries after the date of transfer should be referred to the IoM service
- Send the VAT 30 to the VALID seat. As outlined above, the date of cancellation will be the day following the date of transfer. The final period (99/99) will therefore cover one day. Once that period is open, input a proforma nil VAT 127 to close it as a final return is not applicable to IoM transfers.
- Send the trader’s records to the IoM service in Douglas (you will need to confirm if they are to be sent electronically or in hard copy) and, if applicable, advise DMU to recover any tax outstanding from the periods prior to transfer.