Beta This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

VAT Registration

Voluntary registration: particular trade sectors: oil and gas exploration

The trader must produce evidence to show that, under the relevant exploration agreement, they are entitled to share in the oil or gas discovered. They must also satisfy you that either:

  • they intend to dispose of at least part of that share at a place in the UK, or
  • they have a business establishment in the UK, or their usual place of residence is in the UK, and they intend to make supplies outside the UK which would be taxable if they were made within the UK.