This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

VAT Registration

Entity to be registered: clubs and associations: incorporated associations

Associations may be incorporated under the Companies Acts, by Act of Parliament or by Royal Charter. Once an association is given corporate status, it becomes a legal person separate from the members of whom it is composed. Registration should be effected in the name of the association with status ‘1’ (incorporated company).