This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

VAT Education Manual

Local authority (LA) schools: responsibility for accounting for VAT

Where a governing body does not act as agent of the local authority, it, and not the local authority, has the responsibility to account for VAT. If it makes taxable supplies, then, subject to the normal registration threshold, it must register separately for VAT.