This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

VAT Deregistration

Deregistration requests by professional advisers

We may accept a request for cancellation received from a person authorised by the registered person. However, we must send the Notice of Cancellation (VAT 35) to the trader. If a request also involves a variation to the registered address or other sensitive information, we should follow the guidance in VATREG33000.