Misdeclaration penalty: Discretion, reasonable excuse, and mitigation: Hire purchase
Please note: VAT Misdeclaration Penalty has been replaced by the Schedule 24 inaccuracy penalty for all accounting periods where the return period commences on or after 01/04/2008 and the due date is on or after 01/04/2009. Misdeclaration penalty will still apply where the due date is before 01/04/2009.
Please see the Compliance Handbook CH80000 Penalties for Inaccuracies for further details.
The following questions should be addressed when considering reasonable excuse
- Is the trader a regular user of HP transactions?
- Has input tax been claimed prior to an actual tax point? If so has alternative evidence been used to apply a basic tax point?
- If the point above applies, is evidence held to substantiate the date of delivery or payment of a deposit?
- Has the finance company complied with the rules of establishing an actual tax point by issuing an invoice within the proper time scale?
- Do the nil net tax concessions apply as announced at the 1991 budget?