This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

VAT Business/Non-Business Manual

VAT registration scheme for racehorse owners: how does a racehorse owner register under the scheme?

To register under the scheme an owner has to:

  1. Get VAT registration forms from HMRC’s VAT Helpline by phoning 0300 200 3700.
  2. Ask Weatherbys for a copy of Form D1 (if the owner is an individual) or D2 (for partnerships)
  3. Complete the D form to confirm they have a sponsorship agreement or have received business income from racehorses they currently own;
  4. Send the form to “VAT Declarations”, Weatherbys, Sanders Road, Wellingborough, Northants, NN8 4BX
  5. Weatherbys will check and certify the details and return the form to the owner, who should then send the certified D form together with their completed VAT registration form(s) to the VAT Registration Centre that covers their postcode district.

If the registration is approved HMRC will issue the owner with a VAT registration number. HMRC will also tell the owner their effective date of registration. This will normally be the date the completed D form was received at Weatherbys.

More information about VAT registration procedures is at Notice 700/1 Should I be registered for VAT?

Only the registered owner of a racehorse at Weatherbys may register for VAT under the scheme. The registered owner can be a sole proprietor, partnership or limited company. If someone owns a part share in a racehorse they can register for VAT if they own at least 50%. Otherwise they can only register as a partnership with the other part share owners. You can find information about the registration arrangements for racing clubs and similar organisations at VBNB52750.