Beta This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Trusts, Settlements and Estates Manual

Trusts for particular purposes: flat management companies - service charge funds and sinking funds: background

Many tenants and owners of properties in the UK make contributions to management companies and various service charge funds or sinking funds. These funds pay for a variety of services and sometimes accumulate money for future repairs. Typically, residents of a block of flats will all pay a set amount each year into a fund. That fund will either pay for joint day to day running costs of the block, such as cleaners and minor repairs, or funds will be put aside to pay for future major expenditure such as a roof repair. Some funds may do both within one fund.

The charges may typically be paid to a management company, which could manage just that block of flats or any number of blocks. Sometimes residents of a block will set up their own management company, residents’ association or trust to receive the funds and carry out the work. Sometimes the landlord/freeholder holds the funds and organises the work.

For further background, refer to PIM1070 (external customers can find this information at )