Beta This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what this means

HMRC internal manual

Trusts, Settlements and Estates Manual

HM Revenue & Customs
, see all updates

Introduction to trusts: claims about error relating to trust: error in trust deed (rectification)

Where it is claimed a deed contains an error or omission that means it does not properly reflect the parties’ intentions, the parties may seek to have the deed rectified by the High Court. In such cases, they may ask whether HM Revenue & Customs wants to be joined as a party to the proceedings.

In some cases the parties to such a deed may approach us seeking our agreement to ignore the error for tax purposes without going to Court. In the absence of a court order, we would normally adhere to the tax consequences that flow from the actual words in the document.

Refer all cases involving errors in trust deeds or rectification to Trusts & Estates Technical Edinburgh for advice.