TTM17096 - Schedule 22 Finance Act 2000: Part III qualifying companies and groups - Para 18 meaning of operating a ship
(1) A company is regarded for the purposes of this Schedule as operating any ship owned by, or chartered to, the company, subject to the following provisions.
(2) A company is not regarded as the operator of a ship where part only of the ship has been chartered to it.
For this purpose a company is not to be taken as having part only of a ship chartered to it by reason only of the ship being chartered to it jointly with one or more other persons.
(3) A company is not regarded as the operator of a ship that has been chartered out by it on bareboat charter terms, except as provided by the following provisions.
(4) A company is regarded as operating a ship that has been chartered out by it on bareboat charter terms if the person to whom it is chartered is not a third party.
For this purpose a “third party” means-
(a) in the case of a single company, any other person;
(b) in the case of a member of a group-
(i) any member of the group that is not a tonnage tax company (and does not become a tonnage tax company by virtue of the ship being chartered to it), or (ii) any person who is not a member of the group.
(5) A company is not regarded as ceasing to operate a ship that has been chartered out by it on bareboat charter terms if-
(a) the ship is chartered out because of short-term over-capacity, and
(b) the term of the charter does not exceed three years.
(6) A company is regarded as operating a ship that has been chartered out by it on bareboat charter terms if the ship-
(a) is registered in the United Kingdom, and
(b) is in the service of a government department by reason of a charter by demise to the Crown,
and there is in force under section 308(2) of the Merchant Shipping Act 1995 an Order in Council providing for the registration of government ships in the service of that department.
In this sub-paragraph “government department” includes a Northern Ireland department.
|Meaning of operating a ship||TTM03100|