This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Tax Credits Technical Manual

Income: Employment income rules - allowable deductions form employment income: Ministers of Religion

The Tax Credits (Definition and Calculation of Income) Regulations 2002, Reg 4(5)

A deduction is allowed from any earnings from any employment as a Minister of a religious denomination for amounts incurred by the Minister wholly, exclusively and necessarily in the performance of their employment.

If the Minister pays rent for their home, part of which is used substantially in the performance of their duties, then they can deduct up to 1/4 of the rent from their earnings figure.

Where, as a result of their employment, the Minister lives in a property wholly or partially owned by a charity or ecclesiastical corporation, then, where those expenses have not been claimed under section 351 (1), the Minister can deduct up to 1/4 of the expenses from the Minister’s earnings.

These are the income tax deductions allowed by section 351 ITEPA. (See EIM 60044)