Beta This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Tax Credits Technical Manual

Entitlement: Residence rules - Right to reside: Workers and jobseekers (A8 countries)

The Accession (Immigration and Worker Registration) Regulations 2004

To have a right to reside as a worker, an A8 national was, prior to 01 May 2011, generally required to register their employment with the Home Office. If they ceased working for an authorised United Kingdom (UK) employer for any reason in the first 12 months, including illness or involuntary unemployment, they lost their right to reside as a worker.

An A8 national who completed 12 months continuous registered employment was extended full Treaty rights and was entitled to the same rights as nationals of other pre accession Member States.


Prior to 1st May 2011 an A8 national who came to the United Kingdom to look for work could not have a right to reside as a jobseeker as applied to other an European Economic Area (EEA) nationals. Their right to reside depends on their being self-sufficient.