beta This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Tax Credits Technical Manual

Entitlement: Residence rules - Right to reside: A person who has leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom

No right of abode - non European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss nationals

Generally, non EEA or Swiss nationals, who do not have a right of abode, require leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom. There are two kinds of leave:

  • limited leave to enter or remain (meaning limited in terms of time - (e.g. six months or four years); or
  • indefinite leave to enter or remain.

People who have limited leave to enter and remain in the UK, on the condition they have no recourse to public funds, are generally excluded from tax credits because of their immigration status.