Control of Licensable Goods: General: Control Objectives
- To ensure that there is a legally enforceable regulatory system for licensable exports which complies with relevant UK and EU laws, BIS requirements and Departmental policies and procedures.
- To prevent the illicit export of goods to a sensitive or embargoed destination while not interfering unnecessarily with the legitimate flow of trade.
- To ensure that controlled goods not accompanied by an accurate and valid licence or authority are detained and where appropriate seized.
- To ensure that breaches or attempted breaches of export restrictions are dealt with according to prevailing Strategic Exports and Sanctions Team policy on seizure, restoration, compounding and criminal prosecution.
- To ensure that management information is accurate, timely and meets the needs of the system owners.
- To ensure that Departmental resources are used economically, efficiently and effectively in accordance with identified priorities.
- To ensure that adequate intelligence is available to staff for targeting control.
- To ensure that licences are kept secure while in the Department’s possession.
As with any control regime there are risk areas in relation to export licensing. These are outlined in SGSAROA