Law, Policy and Application: procedure table - issue, replacement, transfer and revocation of licences
(referred to in SPIR3070)
To be carried out by Glasgow Processing Centre
Application and issue of licence
- Check that the applicant has completed and signed the application form in Notice 39.
If satisfied that the applicant’s details are correct, prepare and issue a licence on Form L110 (2 copies).
- give the licence a unique identifying number, consisting of:
the name of the issuing office , abbreviated if necessary; and
(the next number from the local series;
- show the excise trade as ‘distiller’;
- enter the name of the licensee as follows:
sole trader - full name and, if applicable, any trading name;
partnership - the full names of the partners and, if applicable, any trading name; and
body corporate - the name of that body;
- enter the date of commencement of the licence as the date of issue or the date specified by the applicant, whichever is the later. Retrospective licences are not to be issued;
- sign and date-stamp both copies;
- give or send copy 1 to the applicant; and
- file copy 2 in the control folder.
- Pass trader’s details to the persons responsible for maintaining the Regional Business Services central list of distillers and monitoring the submission of returns.
Lost or spoilt licences
If satisfied that a licence has been lost or spoilt:
- issue a duplicate licence using the same reference number, effective date and other particulars (except date of issue) as the original; and
- endorse the replacement licence: ‘Duplicate for original licence issued on (date of issue)’.
Transfer of licence
- Check that the transferee meets the eligibility criteria set out in SPIR3060
- Ensure the transfer request on the reverse of the Form L110 is completed correctly.
- Endorse the licence with the new details, and sign and date the reverse.
- Amend the details in the control folder.
If transfer also involves change of premises follow the procedure set out in SPIR3280
Cancellation or revocation of a licence
Where you are satisfied that a licensed distiller is no longer required to be licensed in respect of particular premises, or there is reasonable cause to revoke a licence:
- inform the distiller in writing that because …………… (state reasons), the licence is to be returned for cancellation;
- endorse the returned licence ‘Cancelled wef …………….’ and, if required, return it to the distiller;
- amend the details in the control folder;
- inform the persons responsible for maintaining the central list of distillers and monitoring the submission of returns of the cancellation.