This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Securities Guidance

Giving security: security deposits: accepting security

There are various methods by which the person can give security.

Although HMRC always prefers electronic payments we will also accept payment of security by

  • banker’s draft
  • cheque.

Cash payments can only be accepted in very exceptional circumstances and the person should be directed to a bank or post office to pay by giro using a payslip.

A person can also make a VAT/environmental tax payment direct to Accounts Office Cumbernauld. PAYE/NICs payments should be made to Accounts Office Shipley quoting the SAFE reference number on the payslip.

Other ways to give security are

  • by providing a performance bond, see SG53000 
  • by setting up a joint interest-bearing bank or building society account, see SG54000.

If a security deposit is placed in error on the VAT Accounting Main File use a VAT915 to correct the error.