Residence: Coming to the United Kingdom: Circumstances before arrival
In most cases it will be clear whether an individual becomes resident or not, but this depends on a number of factors. These include:
- whether they have been resident in the UK before
- how many days they have spent in the UK
- the pattern of their presence in the UK or absence from it over a period of years
- whether the individuals purpose for being in the UK is settled or temporary
- the individuals family, social and work ties to the UK,
- their accommodation arrangements.
If the individual is returning to the UK after a period abroad and was previously resident and ordinarily resident in the UK refer to RDRM10225.