Residence: Coming to the United Kingdom: Circumstances before arrival
In most cases it will be clear whether an individual becomes resident or not, but this depends on a number of factors. These include:
- whether they have been resident in the UK before
- how many days they have spent in the UK
- the pattern of their presence in the UK or absence from it over a period of years
- whether the individuals purpose for being in the UK is settled or temporary
- the individuals family, social and work ties to the UK, and
- their accommodation arrangements.
From the information you get, use this 2.3 chart (Word 41KB) to find the next guidance.