Other sums treated like premiums: Seeking advice from the Valuation Office Agency
If you need to seek advice from the Valuation Office Agency in connection with any of the provisions of ICTA88/S34, ICTA88/S35, ICTA88/S36 or Chapter 4 Part 3 of ITTOIA05, please observe the following procedure:
- ask the District Valuer initially for a “not negotiated” valuation,
- do not use form CG20 which is reserved for CGT matters,
- see PIM2340 regarding liaison with other offices,
- explain why a valuation is required and set out all the relevant information including a full description of the property and the extent of your taxpayer’s interest in the property,
- where the District Valuer does not agree the valuation as returned but reports a “not negotiated” valuation, it may become necessary to ask for a negotiated valuation (see BIM51585 onwards),
- if agreement cannot be reached between the taxpayer and the District Valuer, it is the First-tier Tribunal (and not the Lands Chamber of the Upper Tribunal) who resolve the issue. At any such proceedings, you would need the presence of the District Valuer as an expert witness and CTIAA arranges this. If a hearing on a valuation point is expected, please submit the papers to CTIAA (Technical).