This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

PAYE Manual

Reconcile individual: overpayments: cancelling a repayment

A repayment can be cancelled in one of 3 ways

  1. Prior to submission of the calculation by selecting the [Cancel] button. This is done in the Clerical Processing Officer role, see PAYE93037
  2. Post submission of the calculation but before the system has issued it. This is done in the R400 Check role. Instruction on how to access this function is contained within specialist guidance for R400 Checkers; during this process you may receive Error Code 10002 if reconciliation is re-triggered before the cancellation process is complete
  3. Post issue of the repayment if the cheque is sent back uncashed. This is done in the Payable Order Control role, see action guide tax40120. Also see PAYE91037 under heading ’BACS failures’.