Employer records: set up employer record: ELECT scheme - electoral payments (Action Guide)
Note: This guidance relates to the operation of Election Schemes for tax years up to and including 2013-14. From 2014-15 onwards these schemes will operate under standard PAYE arrangements.
When you become aware that the need arises to set up an employer record for an ELECT scheme type, follow steps 1 - 9 below.
- Any employer or agent who telephone the PAYE Employer Office should be asked to contact the New Employer Helpline at East Kilbride by either
- A telephone call on 0300 200 3211, or
- Sending their new employer details to the New Employer Helpline through their email facility
- Any written notification received, either by post or by fax, must be dealt with at the PAYE Employer Office.
Setting up new employer records is a priority. Action should be taken within 2 days of notification that a new record is required.
The guide is presented as follows
Steps 1 - 2
Steps 3 - 4
Steps 5 - 7
For details of how to access any of the Employer Business Service functions, use PAYE057.
Collect and review all the information provided. PAYE20040 provides full details of the information needed
Satisfy yourself this type of scheme is required. More detailed advice is available at PAYE20020
Set up employer record
- Use Function EMPLOYER SET UP to create a new employer record
The function has been designed to follow a logical sequence and will not allow you to move on until all the mandatory fields have been completed
The fields you must complete (as a minimum requirement) are
- Employer Name. Enter the name of the Acting Returning Officer followed by ‘(Acting Returning Officer)’
- Business Address (by selecting the [Search] button to use Function ADDRESS SEARCH to trace and store an address in this protected field)
- Nature of Business
- Trade Prefix
- Trade Classification
- Scheme Type
- Scheme start Date
- Responsible Office
However, you must record all relevant information held relating to the new employer to ensure that the employer record is as complete as possible. For further guidance see PAYE20040
- Make a note of the computer generated employer and Accounts Office reference
Note: When a new scheme has been set up on EBS you must ensure that a record has been created on BROCS before you proceed with any other action, such as COYO, dormancy and so on. This will normally be the next working day but may sometimes be longer.
If the employer’s name is too long to fit the maximum space available in Function EMPLOYER SET UP an abbreviation must be shown
- Contact the employer to agree the abbreviation to use
- Enter the abbreviated name on the screen
Select the field (box) where the Employer’s Name has been abbreviated in Function EMPLOYER SET UP
Send a memo to Banking Operations to
- State the office number, Accounts Office / PAYE employer references
- Inform them that the abbreviated name signal has been set
- State the full scheme name
For each employer scheme take the following action
- Use Function EMPLOYER NOTES to record your actions and place the post in the employer record pad
New employer pack and reference notification letter
- You do not need to take any action to issue a new employer pack and reference notification letter for new employer records that are set up with an ELECT scheme type as EBS will automatically issue them
To see what literature is issued automatically
- Use PAYE056
- In the Forms Index select ‘New Employer Packs’, and then
- Scroll to the new employer pack for this scheme type