Individual records: BF policy: how to create a BF
There are two circumstances where a BF may be required
- You are reviewing an existing work item
- You are reviewing correspondence and follow up action is required to complete the review
Existing work item
When reviewing a work item where follow up action is required you set a BF date on the existing work item.
To set the BF date on an existing work item
- Select ‘BF item’ from the ‘Take action’ drop down menu
- Select a BF date and reason
- Make a work item note
Please refer to PAYE110060 for further guidance.
When reviewing correspondence and follow up action is required you should create a paper BF.
Some examples of this include where
- The customer does not have an NPS record
- The BF review relates to a request for specialist advice or action from another part of HMRC
- The BF review relates to work which has been centralised in a particular office
- Exceptionally, you are unable to update IABD and Contact History with all of the relevant information
When creating a paper BF you must attach a covering stencil to the papers under review. The covering stencil should include designatory details of the customer, the reason for the BF and the BF review date.