Individual records: merge individual records: manual merge: merge screens
The guidance in this section is aimed specifically at the 4 specialist teams who will undertake merge work.
Four screens facilitate the merge of one record to another. From October 2013 two new screens will be introduced; Link Employments and Review Merge Employments. Only teams with merge functionality will be able to access the first 5 screens. The Merge tab on the Navigation tile will be accessible to all users. The screens are
Merge Individual screen
The Merge Individual Summary screen is accessed by entering the TRN / NINO in to the quick search field. This will take you to the Individual Summary screen of the record that will become the merged-to record. Here you can select the Merge tab in the Navigation tile to go to the Merge Individual Summary screen.
This screen is used to
- Display merge history
- Initiate a new merge
Where previous merges have taken place, up to 10 will be shown on the screen. If more than 10 merges have taken place these can be accessed using the [Forward] or [Back] buttons.
Following a merge, if you select the View Record icon on the Merge Individual screen you will be taken to the Individual Summary screen for the merge-from record. This will be in read-only format. The remaining screens on the merge-from record, including the Individual Summary screen, will also be accessible but in read-only format. No further processing will take place on the merge-from record.
Merge Individual Trigger screen
The Merge Individual Trigger screen is used to
- Access the Transfer Employments screen
- Inhibit the production of P217 forms for newly merged TRN / NINO where an automated merge has already taken place
- Trigger a merge
From October 2013 it will not be possible to trigger a merge unless all employments have been selected for transfer and / or link. Once this action has been taken the Complete status will be shown as yes.
Transfer Employments screen
The Transfer Employments screen will be used to
- Transfer employments from the merge-from record to the merge-to record
- Select the employments on the merge from record that are to be linked to an employment on the merge to record
- Access the Review Merge Employments screen to review the merge updates that will be triggered by the actions taken through the Transfer Employments screen
The Transfer Employments screen is completed to transfer employments, both primary and secondary, from one record to the other. It must be completed before the merge can be finished.
All the employment data selected will be copied across to the merged-to record as it appeared on the merge-from record.
Link Employments screen
The Link Employments screen will be used to
- Identify the employment on the merge to record to be linked to the employment selected on the Transfer Employments screen
A merge to employment will still be displayed irrespective of whether it has previously been linked to a separate merge from employment. A merge to employment can be linked to more that one merge from employment.
Review Merge Employments screen
The Review Merge Employments screen will be used to review
- The requested merge action associated with each employment on the merge to record
- The impact of the requested merge action on the employment of the merge to record
- Any non-linked employments on the merge to record that could have been linked to an employment on the merge from record
Merge tab on the Navigation tile
This tab will enable you to view the merge history of a record. It will show all the merged from records. Where previous merges have taken place, up to 10 will be shown on the screen. If more than 10 merges have taken place these can be accessed using the [Forward] or [Back] buttons.
See ‘Records identified for merge’, what information to transfer in Action guide tax40009 for further information.