Individual records: merge individual records: post automated merge
Once the automated merge has completed successfully the status of the merge-from TRN record will be updated to ‘Amalgamated PAYE Temporary’
- A Contact History will be created on the merge-to NINO following the completion of a merge
- A P46-5(T) will be issued to any live employer to notify them of the correct NINO for the employee. The P217, which informs taxpayers of their new NINO, will not be issued as part of this process as the triggers are from Adult and Juvenile Registration and there are already outputs to the individual to notify them of their correct NINO
The P46-5(T) will not be issued under the following circumstances
- There is no current live employment
- If the live employment is an ESA or JSA employment
- The live employment was already held on the merge-to record and was not copied across from the merge-from record. The merge-to record must also be a NINO
- When a P46-5(T) is issued, this will create a Contact History for each employment that it is sent for. The Contact History will be created under the merge-to NINO
- There will be a Contact History note on all merged-to records that have undergone an automatic merge
- The notifications of merge to Frameworks are triggered
- Notifications to the Work Management system are triggered. When two records are merged, Work Management will re-reference all the work items that are under the merged-from record to the merged-to record unless the work item is already allocated to an individual’s work list
If it is you should review whether the work item needs to be worked, that is, is the information already held on the merge-to record and has the merging of the records resolved the work item? If the work item does not need to be worked, you should close the work item and make the necessary notes.
All further notifications of work items sent to the Work Management system will be under the merge-to NINO, the merge-from TRN will also be present for the display data
- Forms P14 which were posted to the TRN record will be posted to the merge-to NINO record. Any subsequent automatic tracing that takes place (batch trace and match) will redirect traces of the merge-from NINO to the merge-to NINO. All future electronic correspondence, that is, forms P45 / P46 submitted by an employer, will be re-directed to the merge-to NINO. If TRN / NINO (A) is not currently merged and you search for it using quick-search, you will be taken to the Individual Summary Screen for TRN / NINO (A) and the Merge Status will be blank
- If TRN / NINO (A) is currently merged to TRN / NINO (B) and you search for TRN / NINO (A) using quick-search, you will be taken to the Individual Summary Screen for TRN / NINO (B). The following message will appear at the top of the Individual Summary Screen ‘This record has been merged’
- The online trace facility will automatically redirect you where necessary to the merge-to record and the Merge Status will be set to ‘Merged’
If one or more TRNs / NINOs are currently merged into TRN / NINO (B), and you search for TRN / NINO (B) using quick-search, you will be taken to the Individual Summary screen for TRN / NINO (B). In such cases, TRN / NINO (B) will have an entry for one or more NINO (merge-from) entries and the Merge Status will be set to ‘Merged’.
If you need to access the merged-from account, you should use the Edit Record icon on the Merge Individual Summary screen on the merged-to record. The details displayed for the merge-from record are read-only. The [Edit] button on the Individual Summary screen will not be displayed. Instead a [Cancel] button will be available in its place. Selecting the [Cancel] button will return you to the Merge Individual Summary screen on the merge-to record.
P46-5(T) returned not known or no longer employed
Forms P46-5(T) returned by the employer advising the individual has never been in their employment or has now left their employment should be forwarded to PT Operations to be dealt with from the individual’s record.
Note: Exceptionally the merged-from account details will not be visible; these are merges which have taken place prior to NPS and are due to a NIRS data migration issue. Steps are being taken to update these records with the merge-from details.