This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

National Minimum Wage Manual

Specific occupations & special groups: House of Lords and House of Commons staff

Relevant legislation

The legislation that applies to this page is as follows:

  • National Minimum Wage Act 1998, sections 38 & 39

National minimum wage legislation applies to House of Lords staff and House of Commons staff in all respects except that compliance officers may not issue penalty notices for non-compliance with an enforcement notice relating to these workers.

A member of the House of Lords staff means any person who is employed under a worker’s contract with the Corporate Officer of the House of Lords.

A member of the House of Commons staff means any person:

  • who is appointed by the House of Commons Commission; or
  • who is a member of the Speaker’s personal staff.

House of Lords’ and House of Commons’ workers can take their own claim for national minimum wage arrears to the courts in the normal way.

(This content has been withheld because of exemptions in the Freedom of Information Act 2000)