This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

National Insurance Manual

National Insurance Numbers (NINOs): Format and Security: Who needs a NINO?

An individual must apply for a NINo if they are:

  • workers who are employees or self-employed
  • entitled and want to pay voluntary Class 3 NICs to maintain their NI record and would benefit from making the payment
  • claiming state benefit or tax credits
  • advised by Student Loan Company that they need to supply their NINo in connection with an application for a student loan.


NINOs are used by:

  • HMRC to record Tax, NICs and Credits, administer Child Benefit and Tax Credits
  • DWP - if a person makes a claim to benefit, DWP use the NI account to check entitlement based on their NICs and credits record. Claimants are required by law to produce their NINo or sufficient information to trace or allocate a NINo when they claim benefit.
  • employers who need to record Tax and NICs - an employee is required to tell their employer their NINo so it can be entered on the payroll records.

For details of legislation, see NIM39330

For people who are not entitled to a NINO, see NIM39130.