NIM34055 - Special cases: Volunteer Development Workers: Specific provisions relating to the payment of the special rate of Class 2 NIC: Late paid NICs and higher rate provisions
Regulation 153 Social Security (Contributions) Regulations 2001
Any Class 2 NIC at the special rate which is paid after a certain time is payable at ahigher rate.
Where a volunteer development worker:
- pays a special rate of Class 2 NIC for a tax year; and
- pays that Class 2 NIC after the end of the year immediately following the year in which it was due; and
- the rate of NIC for the week for which it is being paid is different from the rate of NIC in force at the time of payment,
the NIC is payable at the highest special Class 2 rate applicable during the period:
- beginning with the week in respect of which the NIC is paid; and
- ending with the day on which it is paid.
NIM34060 gives an example of this provision.