Class 1A National Insurance contributions: Special Class 1A NICs cases: Removal benefits and expenses: General
NIM06115 onwards provides detailed guidance on the treatment for Class 1 NICs purposes of removal expenses and allowances. It also explains that from 6 April 2000 Class 1A NICs may be due on
- non-qualifying removal benefits,
- certain non-qualifying removal expenses, and
- on any amount of a relocation package which exceeds £8,000.To understand the interaction of Class 1 and Class 1A NICs liability on relocation packages familiarise yourself with the Class 1 NICs position before giving consideration to whether, and to what extent, a Class 1A NICs liability also arises. The differences which exist between the tax and Class 1 NICs treatment of removal expenses has a direct bearing on the amount of Class 1A NICs employers are liable to pay on the relocation packages they provide.
For guidance on
- removal benefits and expenses and Class 1A NICs before 6 April 2000, see NIM16255
- removal benefits and expenses and Class 1A NICs from 6 April 2000, see NIM16260 onwards.