NIM07060 - Class 1 NICs: Payments made under employment legislation: Earnings period to be used in assessing NICs liability: General
Regulations 2, 5(a) and 8 Social Security (Contributions) Regulations 2001
Payments made under:
- a reinstatement order (see NIM07020 NIM07021)
- a re-engagement order (see NIM07030 NIM07031)
- an order for the continuation of a contract of employment (see NIM07040 onwards)
- a protective award (see NIM07050 onwards)
have their own specific earnings periods.
For details of the earnings periods to be used for payments made under:
As payments made under any of the above orders or a protective award have their ownunique earnings period, any such payment must not be aggregated with any other payment ofearnings made at the same time. But this is subject to the following exception.
Exception payment made to a director
The only exception to the rule mentioned in the previous paragraph is where the paymentmade under:
- any of the above orders; or
- a protective award
is paid to a director.
This exception is provided for in regulation 2 Social Security (Contributions)Regulations 2001.
In such cases:
- add the amount of the payment made under any of the above orders or a protective award to the amount of the other earnings, and assess the amount of NICs on the total amount; and
- use the earnings period which is being used to assess NICs on other payments made to the director ie, an annual earnings period or a pro-rata annual earnings period (regulation 8 Social Security (Contributions) Regulations 2001; see NIM12021 onwards).