This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

International Manual

Double Taxation applications and claims: Repayment claims from non-residents: Enquiries: Who should open an enquiry

Any notice of intention to enquire into a claim, or an amendment to a claim, should be made by an officer of HM Revenue & Customs. We have decided that enquiries should be opened by a Grade O or above.