This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

International Exchange of Information Manual

Reportable Information: Reporting Financial Institution

Reportable Information: Reporting Financial Institution

The Reporting Financial Institution [see IEIM400600] must report its name and identifying number. This is to enable the jurisdiction receiving the information to easily identify the source of it in the event that they have any follow-up questions in respect of the data reported.

All UK Financial Institutions that are in scope for FATCA are required to register with the US Internal Revenue Service and obtain a Global Intermediary Identification Number (GIIN). The GIIN will be required as an identifying number for FATCA reporting. Where a Financial Institution is reporting under any of the other automatic exchange of information agreements it must either report a GIIN or confirm it does not hold one.

In addition, the Financial Institution will need to report a UK identifying number. This will take the form of either the unique taxpayer reference number (UTR) issued by HMRC to persons making annual tax returns or the national insurance number (NINO) of the person filing the information with HMRC. If neither an UTR nor a NINO is held then the person making the report will need to confirm that this is the case.