IPTM7185 - Certificates for HMRC: types of chargeable events
Codes for each type of chargeable event
The number codes to be entered on the certificate for HMRC are listed below. Furtherdetails about each of these types of chargeable events are given in the detailed guidancefrom IPTM7300 onwards.
- Full surrender including fundamental reconstruction of the policy, such as on changes of life or lives assured.
- Whole assignment for money or moneys worth.
- Excess event.
- Part surrender or assignment event where the relevant transaction is a part surrender.
- Part surrender or assignment event where the relevant transaction is a part assignment for money or moneys worth.
- Personal portfolio bond event.
For the purpose of reporting the type of event on certificates to HMRC, excess eventsand part surrender or assignment events are separated into 3 different categories,depending on how the event arose. More details on these types of events are given in IPTM7500 onwards but a summary of the circumstances in which theyarise is given in the table at IPTM7190.
Although these codes are needed in reporting chargeable events to HMRC, it is notsufficient to use them to report events to policyholders without any further descriptionon the certificate.
|Further reference and feedback||IPTM1013|