Pensions: IHT exclusions: rights to a pension or annuity
Under IHTA1984/S151, the value of an interest in:
- a registered pension scheme (IHTM17021),
- a qualifying non-UK pension scheme (IHTM17025), or
- a section 615(3) scheme (IHTM17026),
that comes to end on the death of the person entitled to it is excluded from the value of their estate if the interest:
- is, or is a right to, a pension or annuity
- is not a benefit provided otherwise than by way of a pension or annuity.
Lump sum death benefits do not fall within this exclusion.