This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Inheritance Tax Manual

Sales of related property, etc: sales of shares in companies

If the property for which relief is claimed consists of shares in a close company (IHTM14851) you should refer the claim to SAV for advice. They are responsible for the application of the relief in these circumstances and will also consider whether the sale satisfies the additional condition in IHTA84/S176 (5).

In the unlikely event of a claim for relief being made for shares which qualify for business relief (IHTM25131) or agricultural relief (IHTM24000) you will need to reconsider the relief in consultation with SV.