Communications: Use of Microsoft Word templates and standard letters: link between COMPASS and the standard letter template
To do this
- click on the button marked ‘Compass’ on the Standard Letter template Background Information screen,
- enter the file reference and appropriate entry letter of the case concerned in the dialogue box (the default entry letter is ‘A’, the entry letter for the free estate),
- click ‘OK’.
If the case does not exist or the case does not have the Entry chosen, a message will appear informing you of this. If the COMPASS database has a case and entry matching the details you have entered, these details will be entered in the appropriate fields on the Background Information screen. COMPASS will also enter the:
- name of the Deceased/Settlor/Transferor
- title of Entry (for example, Lifetime transfer on dd/mm/yyyy. Where the entry is the deceased’s own estate the Compass title of ‘Free Estate’ will not be shown.
- agents reference
- Inheritance Tax file reference
Details of the Title of the Entry will be shown on the extra heading tab. You may need to enter some of the information manually.
If an agent hasn’t been appointed for an entry but a liable person is named, the liable person details will be added to your letter. But, where both the agent and liable person details are held on COMPASS for an entry, only the agent details will be extracted.