Communications: General instructions: delay and priorities in dealing with correspondence
Look at all post when it arrives to check
- that it has been attached to the correct file
- that it is not for another section (such as Heritage or SAV)
- that any enclosed documents mentioned are enclosed
- original documents are not enclosed (IHTM02088).
If the correspondence is easily dealt with or needs to be sent somewhere else do this straightaway.
You should give priority attention to:
- correspondence that asks us to progress the case more quickly. If you cannot issue a full reply at this stage you should acknowledge the request by letter or telephone
- correspondence relating to a complaint case (IHTM02243) or a reconstructed file (IHTM03340)
- correspondence pointing out a mistake or expressing dissatisfaction with our handling of the case, whether or not it refers to delay
- any reminders asking for a reply to correspondence or other action to be taken
If it is clear that a repayment of tax is due it is good customer service to issue the calculation as soon as possible.