Beta This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Information Disclosure Guide

Information disclosure Gateways with other government departments: Student Loan Company

HMRC may disclose, on request, such information as may be necessary for the collection of Student Loans. This information may only be disclosed to the Department for Business, Innovation & Skills (BIS) or the Student Loan Company (SLC).

The HMRC business streams who will usually be responsible for disclosing information will be the:-

HMRC Complaints handling teams.

The East Kilbride Student Loans Unit (EKSLU) which includes the following:-

  • Student Loan Exception handling and day to day Student Loan work.
  • Student Loan Customer trace and match process (CTMP) work.
  • Student Loan Validating Household Income (VHI) work.

The PTCP&P Collection of Student Loans policy and technical team will also be involved across all subjects on a day to day basis.

Procedure to follow

If you do not work in one of the designated offices noted above, but a request for student loan information is received, you should advise the requestor that local offices are not permitted to disclose this information. The request for information should be referred to the Student Loan office in East Kilbride (see IDG80100 for contact details).

Legislation which allows disclosure

  • Section 24 of the Teaching and Higher Education Act 1998.

It is important to note when considering this provision that Schedule 2 Part 2 of CRCA specifically provides that only information held or obtained in connection with former Inland Revenue functions may be disclosed under this gateway. See IDG40470 for details of former Inland Revenue functions.

Devolved administrations

This guidance applies to the whole of the United Kingdom.

Further guidance

If you receive a request for Student Loans information and are unsure how to proceed, please contact the Student Loans Unit in East Kilbride for advice (see IDG80100).

If a request for Student Loan information is received from any organisation other than BIS or the SLC, please contact your Data Guardian for advice.