This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Information Disclosure Guide

Information disclosure Gateways with other government departments: Department for Work and Pensions (DWP): spontaneous disclosure

Information may be disclosed without a request from DWP where you believe that the information you hold indicates that there may be a potential benefit irregularity.

Procedure to take to spontaneously disclose

If you are considering making a spontaneous disclosure you should complete an Intelligence Report(IR) which should contain the relevant information that you want to share and send it by e-mail to ‘Intelligence Bureau, RIS’.  You can find the Intelligence Report e-learning on Kallidus code 0017111.  In the ‘disseminated to’ section on the IR, if you have a named officer you want to send the information to then you should insert their name, otherwise you should put the following e-mail address, which will ensure it gets to the relevant DWP team <5x5x5gateway@DWP.GSI.GOV.UK>.

Only information that you come across during the course of your duties can be disclosed. You must not specifically seek information on behalf of colleagues in the other department. The information disclosed should include the name and address of the person or business concerned, the National Insurance number, the tax reference number and sufficient information to make it clear why you suspect benefit fraud.

Legislation which allows disclosure

Section 127 Welfare Reform Act 2012.

Devolved administrations

This guidance is applicable to England, Wales and Scotland.

For Northern Ireland, all references to DWP include the Social Security Agency (SSA). Similarly, any references to local authorities refer to the Northern Ireland Housing Executive.

Further guidance

If you receive a request for information and are unsure how to proceed, please contact your Data Guardian for advice.