This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Information Disclosure Guide

Information disclosure Gateways with other government departments: Department for Transport: motor fuel (road vehicles & mobile machinery) greenhouse gas emissions

Which part of HMRC can disclose this information?

The Excise Environmental Taxes & Customs team in Business Tax.

The purpose for which information may be disclosed

Fuel suppliers who provide more than 450,000 litres of fuel for use in road vehicles, non-road mobile machinery (including inland waterway vessels which do not normally operate at sea), tractors and recreational craft which do not normally operate at sea, are required to report to the DfT on the greenhouse gas intensity of the fuel they supply, the volumes of fuel they supply and to disclose whether the fuel is a fossil fuel, renewable fuel or partially renewable fuel. Renewable and partially renewable fuels must be shown by means of a verifiers assurance report to meet specified sustainability criteria or such fuel will be ascribed greenhouse gas emissions equal to or greater than fossil fuel. Allowing the DfT to have access to HMRC information will enable the Administrator (the Secretary of State) and fuel suppliers to monitor the progress towards reducing lifecycle greenhouse gas intensity of fuels for use in road transport and non-road transport as mandated by the Fuel Quality Directive (FQD).

Information which can be disclosed

Data on the volumes of road transport fuel, including biofuels, supplied by around 300 road transport fuel suppliers is already supplied to the DfT in support of the Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation (RTFO). Data on fuel volumes used for off road applications can now be disclosed to the DfT to ensure compliance with the FQD.

Top of page

Legislation which allows disclosure

Statutory Instrument 2012 No. 3030 - The Motor Fuel (Road Vehicle and Mobile Machinery) Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting Regulations 2012.

Exchange of information is regulated under the Energy Act 2004 s131A as inserted by Schedule 7 s.6 of the Climate Change Act 2008.