This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Film Production Company Manual

Co-productions: Film Tax Relief


Where a co-production qualifies as British (FPC40030), the UK co-producer can access Film Tax Relief (FTR) on the same basis as any other film production company (FPC). This is the case whether the co-production has been made under the terms of the European Convention or of a bilateral treaty.

This means that a FPC is entitled to claim FTR on its core expenditure on such a co-production, provided:

  • the film is intended for theatrical release;
  • 25% or 10% (whichever applies) or more of the core expenditure on the film is UK expenditure; and
  • principal photography commenced on or after 1 January 2007.

As with ordinary Schedule 1 (Films Act 1985) qualifying films, under transitional provisions, co-productions already filming at 1 January 2007 but uncompleted then can also claim film tax relief.