Contract Settlements: Letters of Offer: Detail - Partnerships Example
The guidance about contract settlements at EM6000+ only relates to direct tax. You must never include VAT or VAT penalties in a contract settlement.
The offer from the partnership will include
- tax, including higher rate tax, on partnership profits, and
- Class 4 NIC chargeable on the partnership.
The offer from each individual partner will include
- tax on personal income, including partnership investment income, and
- capital gains tax, including tax on partnership gains, and
- Class 4 NIC not chargeable on the partnership.
- Mrs A and Mrs B were in a partnership from May 1988.
- Mr A and Mr B became partners in September 1993.
- Mr A retired in June 1995. A continuation election is made.
The investigation established omissions of
- trading profits from May 1988 to 5 April 2000
- property income from Mr A and Mr B for the same period
- a chargeable gain by Mrs B in June 1994.
Seven separate offers are requires, as follows
|· Mrs A and Mrs B for 1988/89 to 1993/94 (September 1993)|
|· Mrs A, Mrs B, Mr A and Mr B for 1993/94 (September 1993) to 1995/96 (June 1995)|
|· Mrs A, Mrs B and Mr B for 1995/96 (June 1995) and 1996/97|
|· Mr A on property income for 1988/89 to 1999/2000|
|· Mr B on||property income for 1988/89 to 1999/2000|
|partnership share for 1997/98 to 1999/2000|
|· Mrs A on partnership share for 1997/98 to 1999/2000|
|· Mrs B on||partnership share for 1997/98 to 1999/2000|
|chargeable gain for 1994/95|