Information Powers: Professionals: TMA70/S19A and FA98/SCH18/PARA 27: What Constitutes a Medical Professional and a Medical Record
For these purposes a medical professional is a
- registered medical practitioner
- registered dentist
- registered optician
- registered pharmaceutical chemist
- registered nurse, midwife or health visitor
- registered osteopath
- registered chiropractor
- person who is registered as a member of a profession regulated by the Health Professions Council (HPC)
- clinical psychologist, child psychotherapist or speech therapist
- music therapist employed by a health service body
- scientist employed by such a body as head of Department.
The HPC regulates arts, music and drama therapists, chiropodists/podiatrists, clinical scientists, dietitians, medical laboratory scientific officers (MLSOs), occupational therapists, orthoptists, prosthetists & orthotists, paramedics, physiotherapists, radiographers and speech & language therapists.
If you want to know whether your health professional is registered, contact the Registration Department at the Health Professions Council, Tel: 020 7582 0866, Fax: 020 7820 9684.
A medical record is
- any record which contains information relating to the physical or mental health or condition of an individual and
- has been made by or on behalf of a medical professional in connection with the care of that individual